Did you know jam was so easy to make? I can’t believe I never made it until last week! Incorporate chia seeds and it becomes even easier – the chia seeds gel and help the jam firm up. This recipe is a homemade mixed berry chia jam that is both vegan and paleo friendly, all while needing only 5 simple ingredients.
Homemade Mixed Berry Chia Jam [Vegan, Paleo]
- 1 cup berries (mixed or of any one kind)
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- fresh lemon - a few drops will do
- Blend berries and water in a blender or NutriBullet
- Pour into a small pot and set on medium heat. Add in chia seeds, maple syrup, and a touch of freshly squeezed lemon.
- Mix and heat until bubbling. Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour into a mason jar and sit out to cool before storing in the fridge.
This jam is perfect for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, spreading on toast, or as a topping for oats and chia seed pudding! I first used the jam as a layer in a delicious jar of peanut butter and jelly chia seed pudding.
Look at those layers! This was so good. I highly recommend giving this chia seed pudding a try. I’ll write up a more formal post for this in the future because I pretty much winged this one, but I made my chia seed pudding as per usual (chia seeds, nut milk, maple syrup or raw honey) and added in a tablespoon of powdered peanut butter. You do want this pudding to be on the thicker side – it’s best that way for layering. Then in the morning, I added a layer of Nuttzo Peanut Butter on top, followed by a layer of jam. That’s it! So easy, so quick, and really delicious. And you know exactly what’s in it. No funky ingredients here!
I hope you enjoy this recipe and get creative with different ways to use the jam. I also really enjoy it in oats. As always, please let me know what you think in the comments. I’d love to know if you give this recipe a try and what you decide to do with it!