Look at that color!! Beets are amazing, and beet powder is really, really fun. I am not the strongest baker, so I was a little nervous to play around with a cookie recipe, but these cookies turned out great! They are Paleo friendly (gluten free & dairy free) and made with lots of body-loving ingredients like almond flour, pasture-raised eggs, coconut oil, sunflower seeds, and beet powder – just to name a few! The image above is before the cookies went into the oven and around the time I got tired of doing the crisscross fork design. The color is really saving me here, let’s be real.
Anyway… these cookies are low in sugar and filled with nutritious fats and protein. Yielding 20 or more cookies, each cookie should have less than 4 grams of sugar. If you make 16 big cookies, each should have about 4 grams. Make more than 16 and you’re getting less than 1 tsp of sugar in each cookie. That’s crazy low for a delicious cookie!
Speaking of delicious, the amaretto flavor of these cookies was 100% unexpected, but I am loving it. I also found that the texture improves overnight. This is not a crispy or crunchy cookie, it is a soft cookie. And amaretto is an almond-vanilla type flavor. So if all of that sounds good to you, I think you will really love these cookies. They are wonderful by themselves and even better topped with nut butter and fruit for breakfast. And who doesn’t want to eat cookies for breakfast?
Amaretto Breakfast Cookies [Paleo Friendly]
- 1 cup almond flour (I used Almond Pro)
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ¼ cup hemp protein
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp beet root powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 pasture-raised eggs
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened cashew milk
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs until combined. Add and whisk in coconut oil, vanilla, and milk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Scoop out dough using a tablespoon or small ice-cream scoop. Roll into balls, with some space between each, and flatten a bit.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool for another 10 minutes.
- Enjoy! Store in an air-tight container.
Pair these with some full strawberries and a warm drink, and you are all set! I hope you enjoy this recipe and love these cookies as much as I do! As always, you can connect with me in the comments below or catch me on Instagram. ‘Til next time!